Making the Most of My Week

It’s been a while since I checked in here, mainly because it’s been a crazy hectic week full of travel, running, eating, and working. Here is a quick(ish) recap! On Monday, I decided to start doing some speed work at the track. The track I used was outdoors, and it was hot! So, needless to say, my speed intervals were not very speedy. Baby steps though, right? Speedwork is something I’d like to start incorporating into my running schedule once a week, and while I hate it with a passion, I know it’s a  great way to build speed and endurance. I don’t usually run on Mondays, but this ended up being four miles once I factored in warm-up and cool-down.

Tuesday I was flying to Virginia for work in the afternoon, so I got up early and ran 7 miles in the morning. It was H U M I D! This was probably the roughest run I’ve had in a while. I was exhausted by the end. I worked from home in the morning, then ate lunch and headed to the airport. Flights were fine, and my coworker and I arrived on time, checked into our hotel, and then went out searching for Chipotle. We work with car dealerships and passed this beauty at one of our customers’ places which was pretty sweet.

Pink Camaro, be mine.

Pink Camaro, be mine.

The next day we had meetings with customers from 8:30 until 5. It was tiring, but such a great trip. But, you know, work. Boring. After our long day, we headed out for dinner with some colleagues from Texas and spent an enjoyable few hours getting to know them better over drinks, food, and ice cream.

Thursday's running route

Thursday’s running route

We were flying back Thursday, so I set my alarm to get up early, and headed out to a nearby trail to run. It was so pretty–we were in Newport News, which is on the Virginia Peninsula between the James River and the Chesapeake Bay. The trail I ran was around a lake that backed onto the James River, and I got some really pretty pictures from my run.

Running selfie

After I was done, I headed back to the hotel, then my coworker and I drove to Virginia Beach to spend some time by the ocean. We paddled in the Atlantic and ate lunch looking out at the beach. It was great. Then we headed to the airport for our flight to DC that would connect us back to Dayton.

A dip in the ocean

A dip in the ocean

Once we arrived in DC, we found our gate and waited. And waited. Boarding time came and went, and there was no announcement to say that our plane was late or anything. Then they started announcing cancelled flights. There was some bad weather in the Midwest, which led to pretty much all flights out of DC being cancelled, including ours. We couldn’t get a flight out until the next day. Bummer. I called the Holiday Inn, which is the preferred hotel chain of my company, but they were fully booked for the night. However, they said that their sister hotel three miles away had a room, so I went ahead and booked it. Turns out the hotel we booked was right next to the National Mall! I’m not gonna lie; I was pretty excited. I was in DC with my mum and hubby last September and I just loved it. I was excited that I would be able to run along the Mall, since my flight out on Friday wasn’t until mid-afternoon.

The view from the Lincoln Memorial

So, Friday I got up and got ready to run. It was pouring with rain, but I didn’t care. I was so excited to run in Washington, and it turned out to be the best run I’ve had in ages! I ran down from the museum end of the Mall towards the Washington Monument, then to the Lincoln Memorial, then up to the White House, and back down for a total of 5.5 miles. I stopped to take plenty of pictures and I didn’t care that I was soaked to the bone. My coworker had decided to head to the airport to get on standby, so I took my time and enjoyed myself thoroughly.

Visiting the Prez

Visiting the Prez

After my run, I showered and headed out for breakfast. By this time it had stopped raining, so I walked a mile just past the Capitol to eat breakfast at the Corner Bakery Cafe. We don’t have them in Ohio, at least not in this part of the state, and they have the most amazing crispy raisin bread with huge grains of sugar on top. I was cold, so I got steel cut oatmeal with this yummy bread on the side, and I was a happy camper.

Oatmeal and yummy raisin bread stuff

Oatmeal and yummy raisin bread stuff

After breakfast, I headed to the airport. I ended up meeting a woman who was in the same situation as me, so we decided to get a drink and hang out. After our first drink, we managed to get booked onto a direct flight to Dayton leaving at 5:30. We hung out and had some more drinks, and then finally got on a plane to come home. As I arrived back in Ohio, I was glad to be home finally, but I was also really happy that I had been stuck in DC, of all places, which is probably my favorite place in the U.S.

Walking back from breakfast via the Capitol

Walking back from breakfast via the Capitol

So, all in all, it was a good week, despite some setbacks. I had to work this weekend to catch up, but I think it was completely worth it!

Ever been stuck somewhere awesome for work? Ever run in Washington DC? It’s probably my favorite place to run. I’d love to live there. Wishful thinking.

10 thoughts on “Making the Most of My Week

  1. Sounds like a fun filled week! I loved the photos, too. When I first looked at the camaro, I thought you were going to post that you bought that! Nice wheels! The very last photo is so cool. It looks like a color photo of you, with the background in black and white. Thanks for sharing your week!

  2. I can’t WAIT to run in DC this year! I’ve run MCM twice and will be running it for the 3rd time in Oct. Plus visiting lots of college friends (went to school in VA so lots of em live up there). Looking fwd to it!

  3. Very nice! I always bring my running gear with me on work trips too. I HAVE run in DC before! I ran all over the Mall. Loved it! It’s much bigger than what most people think of it – I was able to get in some good mileage.

  4. Pingback: Cowboy Cookie Baked Oatmeal | The Breakfast Drama Queen

  5. Pingback: Cowboy Cookie Baked Oatmeal

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s